Welcome to Barnsley
Barnsley College is rated Excellent in its Ofsted report, as well as Mapplewell Primary school and Gawber Primary School, so a great school is definitely on the cards if you are coming to Barnsley
In 1840 the very first passenger train station was opened by the North Midland Railway in Cudworth, which was very useful to it's residents. Unfortunately this closed in 1968 due to mining subsidence.
Barnsley is however famous for its coal mining, with 70 collieries within 15miles of Barnsley Town Centre, it is a large part of it's history due to the jobs and community it brought; the last one closed in 1994.
Barnsley Town Hall is also a popular landmark for Barnsley, this magnificent building was officially opened by the Prince of Wales in 1933, its grand appearance is set behind beautiful gardens. In 2013, ‘Experience Barnsley’ was opened within the Town Hall, a museum filled with the history of its people and the town.
A war memorial in front of the Town Hall was also added, this masterpiece was sculpted by John Tweed and was unveiled in 1925.
- Barnsley has the lovely historical Cannon Hall Museum, Park and Gardens, dating back to the 13th Century, this truly divine house is host to fine arts and has a long, rich history of owners definatley worth the visit to gain some local knowledge.
- Oakwell Football Stadium was opened in 1888, still standing proud it has a sea of devoted supporters attending matches or watching from home.
- Wentworth Castle and Gardens run by the National Trust is a breathtaking. It is a historical place to visit, with events happening often, you have the opportunity to explore the grounds knowing you will be fully educated on the history of this amazing place.
What’s on the Highstreet?
- Barnsley has a colourful Town Centre with a multitude of shops to visit, with the added benefit of the Alhambra Shopping Centre which was opened in 1991.
- ‘The Glass Works’ development is the heart of the Town Centre, with open spaces created for market stalls and events to take place, a shopping centre, cinema and bowling. Even a library to educate all that visit.
Favourite places to eat/drink
Bringing the taste of Brazil to Barnsley we have Favela Brazilian Grill, with lots of excellent reviews it is definitely worth the trip.
The Secret Italian comes in 2nd place according to Tripadvisor, then in 3rd comes Bistro at the Pocket priding themselves on delicious homemade meals.
MERRYWEATHERS are proud to offer to the market this unique period detached...
Offered with vacant possession. This freehold, two double bedroom terrace house...
MERRYWEATHERS are delighted to present to the market this stylish one bedroom...